Mr Marcus McGowan MSc PgDip BA (Hons)

This Business Education Learning Blog is aimed primarily at Higher Business Management students/teachers and ICT students/teachers.

The aim of this blog is to provide you with interesting articles, news, trivia as well as resources or links to materials which will help in your course of study.

I am a Teacher of Business Education and I have written for Education Scotland and BBC Bitesize.

If you'd like to contact me please click on the link to: email me

Tuesday 5 May 2009

Curriculum for Excellence Planning

Today at inservice we concentrated our efforts on Curriculum for Excellence Planning. In fact we unpacked the Social Subjects and Technologies outcomes. We have already unpacked the draft outcomes so this time it was an opportunity to see where it all goes.

For my original ideas on the draft outcomes you can view them here: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4989997/Curriculum-for-Excellence-Unpacking-Outcomes-Course-Ideas I received good feedback from HMIe about this document, though obviously I will have to make changes for the final outcomes and then put more detail into each module.

Much has been made of Modern Studies and Business overlap, but in reality Business was hardly mentioned in 5-14 at all so it really means that we are being represented! I would also say that elements of Geography are also Business teachers domain: such as Globalisation and Multinationals. This is the realm of Economics, which sadly is not offered in many schools anymore in Scotland. Even more poignant considering the Father of Economics is Adam Smith - a Scot!

Anyway while we were looking through and unpacking the outcomes I came up with a word that could help define the use of technology and its impact on the economy: Techonomics, but there does seem to be a similar word, so with the help of my colleague Mr McAlpine I dropped a letter and thus: Technomics was born!

Techomonics is defined as: (noun) : the branch of economics focused on the economic impacts and structure of technology-based economic development

whereas my new word means:

Technomics (noun) the economic and social impact of new, existing and emerging technologies regarding individual and organisational behaviour.

So perhaps a bit of an overlap there, but hey ho I am sure the English language can cope. My emphasis is on the impact of new technology and how it affects people and organisations

I think this is an element in Curriculum for Excellence that has much scope for some really interesting opportunities for pupils.

Not bad for a days work when you create a new word, eh? I will have to ask the pupils what they think!

**UPDATE: there does seem to be a word for Technomics. http://www.economypedia.com/wiki/index.php?title=Technomics Boo Hoo!

No comments:

Followers

Visitors by City

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Labels