Mr Marcus McGowan MSc PgDip BA (Hons)

This Business Education Learning Blog is aimed primarily at Higher Business Management students/teachers and ICT students/teachers.

The aim of this blog is to provide you with interesting articles, news, trivia as well as resources or links to materials which will help in your course of study.

I am a Teacher of Business Education and I have written for Education Scotland and BBC Bitesize.

If you'd like to contact me please click on the link to: email me

Sunday 18 April 2010

Stranded in Auckland

I am stuck in Auckland as Air New Zealand are not allowing anyone flying to Europe to leave. They did let some go to the stopover points in Asia but have stopped that now as it is causing mayhem there. They have nowhere to go and nowhere to sleep.

This volcano erupted some 200 years ago and did so for 2 years! What will we all do if this is the case? Airlines will go bust, and so will many firms as freight and people are not being 'delivered' so to speak.

I am thinking of doing a Michael Palin in a week's time if things are not any better and try to get to the USA and then a container ship home. I worry that when the European skies are clear it will have moved over to the East and straight into my flight path.

KLM are testing low altitude flights, so fingers crossed that works. It is estimated it would take 9 days to clear everything. So at best I think I am here for a week. Everyday we have to call a number to see what is happening, but it doesn't take Einstein to work out that I can't go anywhere until Glasgow and Amsterdam are clear. I wonder if KLM will pay for my hotel? Or will 'Act of God' be used again?

This just shows how reliant we are on technology and air travel in particular. I wonder what all the Environmentalists will make of this? Close air travel and ruin the world financially?

It is when the money runs out that everyone will be in serious trouble. Roll on pay day!

No comments:

Followers

Visitors by City

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Labels