Mr Marcus McGowan MSc PgDip BA (Hons)

This Business Education Learning Blog is aimed primarily at Higher Business Management students/teachers and ICT students/teachers.

The aim of this blog is to provide you with interesting articles, news, trivia as well as resources or links to materials which will help in your course of study.

I am a Teacher of Business Education and I have written for Education Scotland and BBC Bitesize.

If you'd like to contact me please click on the link to: email me

Saturday 3 October 2009

Michael Palin - A Salute!


Who is my favourite Travel writer/presenter? Some go for the comedians such as Billy Connolly, Paul Merton or Griff Rhys Jones; others for the flamboyant Italian Francesco Da Mosta, while QI egghead Stephen Fry is gaining more fans by the minute with his very interesting series America and his Last Chance to See programmes.

But... "I didn't want to be a Business Teacher. Oh no. I wanted to be ... a LUMBERJACK!"

No I haven't lost it. Michael Palin is not only one sixth of Monty Python, but he is the most genial and interesting travel guide anyone could have. Palin roughs it whether in the burning Sahara or the high peaks of the Himalayas. He converses with the locals with skill few can match. He genuinely likes people and can laugh with people of different ethnicities and religions, as well as learn from them and also teach them bits of our own culture. I think part of Michael Palin's wanderlust has rubbed off on me as I have a lot of places that I want to visit. Many are not very touristy and some are downright dangerous!

There was a scene on the Volta Ferry in Ghana when an incredible amount of people spilled off a tiny boat (resembling the Western Ferry) and cars and trucks went past in a puff of black smoke. Mr Bowen commented: "It's like a Michael Palin travelogue!" Too true!

From his original Jules Verne Around the World in 80 Days, to his Pole to Pole adventure and then to my personal favourite Full Circle, where he circumnavigated the Pacific Rim, Michael Palin gets you excited about travel.

Travel broadens the mind and perhaps that's why I am so interested in what happens in other cities, countries and cultures. I love looking at what is similar and different among peoples and nations. Diversity is what makes life worthwhile. How boring it would be if we were all the same!

My experience in Ghana means that South America is the only continent I have not yet travelled to, but I aim to go sometime within the next 2 years. Brazil and Peru are high up my list. Brazil even more so with Rio de Janeiro being announced as the host city for the Olympics in 2016!

To any students past or present reading this I would encourage you to travel the world either before or after university as it is something I do regret. But hey, I have plenty of interesting places to visit before I retire!

No comments:

Followers

Visitors by City

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Labels