Mr Marcus McGowan MSc PgDip BA (Hons)

This Business Education Learning Blog is aimed primarily at Higher Business Management students/teachers and ICT students/teachers.

The aim of this blog is to provide you with interesting articles, news, trivia as well as resources or links to materials which will help in your course of study.

I am a Teacher of Business Education and I have written for Education Scotland and BBC Bitesize.

If you'd like to contact me please click on the link to: email me

Friday 30 November 2012

Rosabeth Moss Kanter - Tip of the Day

Management Guru Rosabeth Moss Kanter believes in lists!

“Lists are one of my favorite management tools. Lists following meetings confirm the agreements. Lists of guidelines or instructions serve as reminders, and free our minds from the burden of remembering small things instead of thinking of big things. "To do" lists ease the worry that something will fall through the cracks, such as an important phone call or a child's dentist appointment. Lists make it possible for people to back up each other and do things the same way. The best thing about lists is that they help us get where we are going more directly and effectively.

The first time I had the pleasure of flying in a small private charter plane, I watched the pilot open a manual and read it before taking off. My reaction was utter fright. I thought I was with a student pilot who didn't know enough to operate the plane. Omigosh! I kept my eye on the emergency exit for the entire flight. Later I learned that reading the checklist is a requirement for every pilot, no matter how experienced. Presumably for the same reason that Dr. Gawande found that checklists reduce errors in surgical procedures. It is not a blow to professional pride to ask for directions. It is not a sign of weakness to read the instructions.

Lists work well when you make your own, too. When feeling overwhelmed by challenging projects or the juggle of many balls in the air, there is nothing more comforting than making a list. The longer the list, the better! That way, nothing is forgotten, no step left to chance. And we get the enormous satisfaction of checking off small items en route to the bigger goal.”


No comments:

Followers

Visitors by City

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Labels