Mr Marcus McGowan MSc PgDip BA (Hons)

This Business Education Learning Blog is aimed primarily at Higher Business Management students/teachers and ICT students/teachers.

The aim of this blog is to provide you with interesting articles, news, trivia as well as resources or links to materials which will help in your course of study.

I am a Teacher of Business Education and I have written for Education Scotland and BBC Bitesize.

If you'd like to contact me please click on the link to: email me

Saturday 5 January 2013

The death of printed books?

I am not a fan of the Kindle. Yes I can see how beneficial it is, if for example you are travelling and need a few books to keep you going. However, I like the physical aspects of having a book. I can bend the pages and make notes or put post-it notes on interesting bits. I even like the smell of second hand books. Does that make me weird?

However, on the BBC Business News website there is this article here:

“Sales of printed books fell by almost £74m in the UK last year, according to data from Nielsen BookScan. In total, readers spent £1.514bn on physical books in 2012, down 4.6% from 2011.

The rate of decline slowed slightly, principally because of EL James' Fifty Shades trilogy, which accounted for one in every 20 books bought last year. E-books continued to be popular, accounting for 13-14% of book sales.”

So in the near future will everyone be going to an eReader? If so I will mourn the paper copy. It may well save the trees though and that may end up being a selling point. But generations of children will not have the same experiences as we did when thumbing through a book we loved.

Mind you a Kindle or eReader may help cure me of my silly habit of going to the last few pages of a book if it is fiction, and reading the ending first. I  have lost count of how many times I have done that.

No comments:

Followers

Visitors by City

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Labels