Mr Marcus McGowan MSc PgDip BA (Hons)

This Business Education Learning Blog is aimed primarily at Higher Business Management students/teachers and ICT students/teachers.

The aim of this blog is to provide you with interesting articles, news, trivia as well as resources or links to materials which will help in your course of study.

I am a Teacher of Business Education and I have written for Education Scotland and BBC Bitesize.

If you'd like to contact me please click on the link to: email me

Friday 28 December 2012

iPads in Education

More and more schools are buying iPads for classroom use. I think iPad minis could really be the one that could aid pupils learning in particular. They are much more compact.

The only issue I have is that does this mean we need to create all new materials using apple software? Where is my motivation transferring or converting all my stuff into iPad friendly applications? Or are we just going to PDF everything?!

Seriously, from a pupils point of view it could have a big impact on classroom learning and especially motivation. I think it is important we to embrace technology but I also believe that the importance of reading a book (not a Kindle!) and learning information that I carry around in my head (and not rely on the crutch that is Google) is still important. Our young people have to be flexible and have a wide range of skills. And importantly, when we say they have ICT or IT skills do we mean much more than just being able to copy and paste onto Word or PowerPoint and make a pretty poster/presentation? Can they use graphics packages? Can they use Corel Draw or AutoCAD or Inventor? Can they create pie charts in Excel and create queries in Access? Can they add signatures to their Emails?

But I do believe new software which can allow simulations and role play may really be the best use of all. With that in mind here is a link here to 10 uses for the iPad in education:


I have to admit I use my iPad a lot, but not much for education! Well, I suppose I do use it to update this blog and indeed my twitter account. But I would never create materials on it as I am not a fan of Pages or Numbers. I much prefer the likes of Word and Excel, but perhaps I am a dinosaur.

No comments:

Followers

Visitors by City

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Labels